Sunday, February 11, 2018

Project Quilting 9.3 - Bold and Brave

I survived the third week of Project Quilting hosted by Kim @ Persimon Dreams.  This week's theme was Bold and Brave.  Only three more challenges to go.



I struggled with ideas, but then remembered I was taking a workshop through my guild with Andrea @ 3rd Story Workshop -- appliqué maps.

We spent a lot of time cutting out the maps.  I choose not to be precise (because it was too fiddly), so maybe a few small islands might have disappeared.  Artistic license...that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  😉


I also took artistic license and decided some of the parks didn't exist because they were too small to cut out.


Steam a Seam was used to adhere the map to the background.  I always thought Steam a Seam and Wonder Under (fusible interfacing) were the same.  I learned a lot, and I like that you can reposition Steam a Seam.

The Magdalen Islands turned into one island, and I may have ripped Cape Breton (part of Nova Scotia) in half.  Oops.  Artistic license I say.


The parks were then ironed on.  I used Kona Deep Blue for the background; White for the maps; and Mint for the provinces.


Rough free motion quilting around the map to keep it in place.  My free motion ocean currents are a little wonky, but I'm saying the seas were rough that day.  😉

We also free motioned the highways in each province.  More artistic license.  This finishes at 12.5 inches.


And if that wasn't enough bold and brave for one day, I decided to try a faced binding.  I found a great video tutorial and just went for it.  Here's the back.  Ignore the messy quilting -- my Singer doesn't like free motion quilting.


Nova Scotia is on the east coast of Canada.  New Brunswick (far left), Prince Edward Island (attached to New Brunswick by bridge and reachable from Nova Scotia by ferry), and Nova Scotia are considered the Maritime Provinces.  If the map were bigger, Newfoundland and Labrador would be in the upper right-hand corner, and the four provinces are considered the Atlantic Provinces.



This was a good learning experience.  I tried some new things, even though I was hesitant.

You can vote for your favourite project here.


18 comments:

  1. It looks great, Anja! I can only imagine how fiddly that coastline would be to cut out. Phew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your finish! So many pieces with fiddly edges. Nice work! It's so great to see you participating in PQ challenges! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great result. i love facing for art style quilts - nothing to distract from the lovely design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a wonderful workshop. Nicely done and face binding was a good choice. I should give a map a try myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for artistic license!! Thank you for sharing your process and I love the quilting details--especially the ocean currents!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think unless you scale that up a whole lot more, artistic license is absolutely necessary! Congratulations on the sweet finish and all the new things you learned and tried.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this, especially your rough seas quilting - it looks great! Congrats on taking on this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Using your artistic license is a necessity and should never be to far out of reach. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous finish Anja! I so wanted in on the PQ this year, but just couldn't fit it in. Still plan on doing the Home Grown one on my own and maybe one of the last 3... Such teensy pieces wow! Ya done good, artistic license and all my friend! Love the geography lesson too, artistic license and all ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Anja! That’s really using your imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it and all of your artistic licenses ;) Map quilts are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very clever and love your story of the process.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a real momento of your home. I have visited Nova Scotia a couple of times and saw some unique coastal parks the last time. Thanks for linking to TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the fabric colors you used.
    It came out a lovely quilt map!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your quilt. I visited PEI last summer with my granddaughter to do all things Anne Shirley, met some wonderful people from Nova Scotia, and loved all things Atlantic. Coming from west coast USA it was a great trip. Thanks for jogging my memories.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would have simplified such complex outlines too! Hurrah for a great finish and trying new things.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great project Anja! I hope the inhabitants of Cape Breton forgive you for ripping their homeland in half :)
    A very worthy addition to New to Me too, thanks for linking it up

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments -- advice and support is always appreciated. If you are a no-reply blogger, please include an e-mail in your comment so I can reply. If you do not hear back from me, you should check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.